- This is the place where we drop lots of litter,
- Walk on it, side-step it, kick in the gutter,
- Rush past it, don’t notice it, leave for another,
- Don’t worry, don’t care & don’t even bother.
- But this is the place we could set a new trend,
- Learn how to ‘pause’ and learn how to ‘bend’.
- Learn how to put all our grot in a bin,
- Every package and paper, carton and tin.
- The Manchester bombing, 22nd of May
- Killed 22 beautiful people that day
- So I made it a vow that I’d clean up the streets
- Of fag ends and bottles and wrappers of sweets
- A vow to be certain I’d never forget
- And make our great country more beautiful yet
- Every street, road and pavement a beautiful view
- To remember the beautiful, loved, twenty-two.
When Covid picked a fight with the human race I kicked the #1pieceofrubbish campaign into the curb and I’ve been kicking myself ever since.
Recently I’ve been picking my brains for a post-Covid ‘pick-me-up’ and I hope I’ve picked on a beautiful idea.
My ‘pick-me-up’ is to beautify Britain in memory of the beautiful 22, tragically murdered in the Manchester bombing. I vow to pick up 22 pieces of rubbish every week.
Please would you ‘pick’ to #BeautifyBritain and what would your weekly ‘pick-me-up’ be’?
Pick your brains, pick a motive, pick a number, pick ’em up!
Thank you 🙏
Article created by Ken Bennett and published in the Oldham Times. Covid kicked the campaign into the long grass. Since then I’ve been picking my brains for a new ‘pick me up’ and I think I’ve picked the right time to start it. Watch this space…..